For those who are serious about photography, here’s a complete guide on understanding Digital SLR Cameras and reviews of the best ones that will appeal to professional shooters and amateur snappers. You can learn about the various camera brand names, features, specs, and image quality with our user friendly guide, written in a language that all levels of photographers will be able to understand. DSLR cameras are perfect for shooting in various genres of photography, they have bigger sensor, improved focus system, faster image-processing speeds and take great photos even in low-light conditions. You can shoot in RAW for greater dynamic range, or in JPEG to create smaller file sizes (that you can share on social media) and the quality of photos remains consistent. This is why most professional photographers shoot with DSLR cameras. Skip to the best dslr camera on Amazon.
- 1 Best DSLR Cameras
- 2 Nikon D850
- 3 Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera
- 4 Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera
- 5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera
- 6 Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera
- 7 What Does SLR Mean?
- 8 How Does a Digital SLR Work?
- 9 Advantages
- 10 Disadvantages
- 11 Difference Between Full Frame and Crop Frame camera
- 12 Important Features
- 13 Viewfinder: Coverage & Brightness
- 14 Entry-level DSLR Cameras?
- 15 Too Many Choices
- 16 To Conclude
- 17 You Might Also Like:
Best DSLR Cameras
There are many enthusiasts who want to upgrade to a better camera, or would like to have a camera that gives them more manual control, and something that gives the best quality pictures. This is where an SLR camera fits the bill perfectly.
If you have never owned a camera before, a digital SLR camera may not be very likely your first camera, but if you are serious about photography or intend to upgrade to a much better digital camera, then digital SLR cameras could be the one to look for.
Here are some popular DSLR cameras.
Fast and accurate autofocus system. High megapixel, fast camera. 45.7-megapixel full-frame, back-illuminated (BSI) sensor. Reduced distortions. You can use it for shooting weddings, landscapes, portraits, action or wildlife.
Full-frame image sensor with no optical low-pass filter. Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance. Tilting touchscreen, Focus Shift shooting mode. 4K Ultra HD video recording, slow motion up to 120 FPS at 1080p
Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera
Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SL Camera is a compact, sleek DSLR featuring an 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 4+ image processor that produces rich image quality with reduced noise, along with a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-6400 that can be further expanded to ISO 12800 to suit working in low and difficult lighting conditions. The camera has the ability to shoot at 3 fps for photographing moving subjects, as well as recording Full HD 1080p/30 video. Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC offers the ability to wirelessly share imagery from your camera to a linked mobile device for instant online sharing.
Kit Includes: Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera. Canon 18-55mm Lens. High Definition Wide Angle Lens. 58mm 2x Professional Telephoto Lens. Transcend 32GB SDHC Memory Card. Transcend 16GB SDHC Memory Card. Vivitar SLR DC59 Large Gadget Bag. Quality Tripod. 3 Piece UV Filter Kit. USB Card Reader. Auto Power Slave Flash. UV Filter 58mm. RS-60 Remote Switch for Canon. Memory Card Wallet. LCD Screen Protectors. Table Top Tripod. Lens Cap Holder. Cleaning Kit.
Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera
The Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera is a top-class entry-level dslr camera. Its reasonably priced but offers almost all the necessary features that you need as a photographer. Features 24.2MP DX-format CMOS sensor, has several special effects, is lightweight, shoots incredible panoramic images, and is compatible with tablets and smartphones.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera
For around $2500, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera is what you will see in the hands of most professionals, because of the amazing results it provides. Features 22.3MP full frame sensor, a self-cleaning sensor, a generous 3.2 TFT LCD display and a lot of customizable controls. Its sturdy and built to last, works fine in harsh conditions.
Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera
For around $1200, the Canon EOS 70D is among the more innovative DSLRs available on the market. Features 20.2 Dual Pixel CMOS sensor gives great results in any situation (perfect camera for capturing cars or sports), 3.0 inch touchscreen LCD, built in Wi-Fi and is compatible with both Android and iOS.
What Does SLR Mean?
SLR stands for ‘Single Lens Reflex’. And a DSLR camera means ‘Digital’ single-lens reflex camera.
Here’s why an SLR is preferred by the serious photographers:
- With an SLR camera, you see exactly what the lens sees, so your picture is exactly how you had imagined
- Its possible to change the lens on a digital SLR, so depending on what you want to shoot, you can use the best possible lens.
- Digital SLRs have large image sensors that produce high-quality photos
- An SLR camera is ideal for action photography (such as sports) because it has near-zero lag time
Basically, it means, an SLR camera will never let you down, unless you messed something up. With an SLR, you can only miss great photo opportunities if you aren’t prepared, and not because of any technical limitations of the camera.
How Does a Digital SLR Work?
Here’s what happens (inside) when you click a picture using an SLR camera.
- Light passes through the lens and strikes a mirror (the one marked in green in the diagram)
- The mirror reflects the light up to a focusing screen
- Light passes through the focusing screen and enters a block of glass called a pentaprism (marked in orange)
- The pentaprism reflects the image so that you can see it in the viewfinder
- When you take a photo, the mirror flips up and a shutter (marked in blue) opens that exposes the digital sensor (marked in red) to light
This is how an slr camera works! Using the viewfinder you can then precisely compose your image and adjust the focus.
Pros of owning a DSLR camera…
Challenges of owning a DSLR camera…
Difference Between Full Frame and Crop Frame camera
- Full-frame DSLR camera has an image sensor of the same size as 35mm format (36×24 mm) film. These have better image quality and their field of view is bigger. Full frame cameras are used by professional photographers who need the extra features. Additionally, the Full frame sensors also give photographers more options when it comes to wide-angle work.
Lets you use lenses at normal focal lengths, and shoot at higher ISOs. Perfect for shooting in natural and low light, and for landscapes and architectural photography.
- Crop frame camera has a smaller sensor (less than 35mm). These cameras can be smaller in size and also has a narrower angle of view, which increases the telephoto effect while reducing the wide angle affect.
Suitable for shooting nature, wildlife, and sports.
Though a digital SLR camera will come with many features, here are some of the important ones that you should consider.
Viewfinder: Coverage & Brightness
So how accurate is the viewfinder? Well, almost! Say about 95%!
When you read reviews of ‘SLR’ cameras, you’ll hear a lot about viewfinder “coverage” and “brightness”.
- Digital SLR viewfinders show about 95-100% of the image that is captured by the sensor (this is what “coverage” refers to).
- Digital SLR viewfinders also vary in brightness (how clear the image appears). ‘Bright’ viewfinders make it easier to use manual focus, since you can clearly see the details of your subject.
Entry-level DSLR Cameras?
Fortunately for us, DSLRs have been becoming cheaper over the years and today it is possible to own one for around 500 bucks.
This is what most photo enthusiasts have been looking for long. So if you are a hobbyist or a serious photographer, here’s a good opportunity to capture your favorite places and people without having to spend a lot.
Here are some features that you can expect in DSLR Cameras for Beginners:
Too Many Choices
Almost all the major manufacturers of photographic equipment, such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, make quality cameras, and they all are capable of taking beautiful pictures.
But then it raises an important question, what should you look for when buying digital SLR camera?
Simply put, just select the one that has features that will work the best for YOU.
A good digital camera should provide the user with a powerful tool that is capable of fostering creativity, using advanced features and by providing a much better image quality. A user-friendly, robust and refined digital SLR camera will always provide inspiration to the professional and evolving photographer. The best entry-level DSLR cameras not only provide professional functions in a manageable format and an affordable price, but also give you the perfect balance between a simple point-and-shoot camera and a high-end professional digital SLR camera.
Guide to DSLR Digital Camera Lenses