Disclosure: Links in this post may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site. Please help support Studiopsis and buy from B&H and Amazon. It won’t cost you anything extra.
How to buy the best Home Theater Seats & Chairs that suits your comfort level, as well as lifestyle.
If you have setup the home theater with an intention to experience what you see on the big screens in multiplexes, then why should you ignore the seating when watching the movies at home?
I mean, you don’t have to replace what you currently have if it is comfortable, but have you given a thought to your Home Theater Seating area? Is it really comfortable?
Most users over look the Home theater seating and furniture part. While, you may have all the gadgets for your home cinema, you may not have given lot of thought to your seating area.
Here’s an easy to follow guide to home theater seating and furniture.
Room Size & Room Design
The first thing to consider is how much space you have got to spare for your seating area. Once you have figured that out, you can decide on the size of seating that will best suit your need.
If you have a small room, then you may not have lots of options, but if you have some room to play with, you can consider various seating options.
Here’s some more technical information regarding the position of your home theater seating:
- The sound is usually best heard in the middle of the room. Often a general rule is 1.5 to 3 times the diagonal screen size
- Your seat should be in a thirty degree field of view in relation to the screen (within an arc of 90 degrees)
- In terms of height, your eyes should be roughly in the middle of the screen.
You can read our TV viewing distance guide for more details.
Options Available: Types of Seats
If you have a spare room that you could dedicate to a home theater system, then there’s nothing like it actually if you want to have the best experience.
The type of seating that you choose can actually enhance your home theater experience, considering some cool options that are on offer.
There are various types of home theater seats to choose from, made from various materials and colours. You can choose from recliners, leathers, suede, velvet, trios, singles, doubles, patterned, plain, posh, modern, wacky, sophisticated, mechanical, manual, corner, with storage – the list is never ending.
However, the more popular options, when it comes to seating, are:
- Reclining Love seats: Typically designed for a couple
- Home theater recliner: With Leg raise, cup holder
Reclining Love Seats
If you are a couple and both enjoy watching movies together, the couch / love seat could be the right choice for you.
These are basically designed for a couple and besides for your dedicated home theater, you may even use it in a living room or any other room.
Home Theater Recliner
This is what you go for if you are looking for maximum comfort and want sort of a throne for yourself.
The purpose of this furniture is clear, and that is to provide the maximum comfort. For example, its common to find an adjustable feet rest and a convenient cup holder.
Home Theater Seats
Another option to consider is a home theater seat:
- It looks like the classic or modern movie theater seats
- They are usually connected to each other in rows (just as in the actual movie theaters)
- Can be used by your entire family or friends
You can choose the quantities that you require, or discuss with the provider to customize the seats.
In terms of fabric, you may opt for soft materials (in various styles) or consider the Berkline collection (for a classic look), or consider something like the Fortress Guild (for a real theater-like look). Several modern theater seats now use leather. If space is a constraint, you may pick up something from the likes of Berkline, who offer a large range of space saving seating.
Popular brands of Seats and Chairs
Here are some of the popular brands of theater seating that you may consider.
- Ashley Furniture: They offer a range of seating from ‘loveseats’ to rocker recliners all of which are very trendy to those who seek modern chic.
- Baseline: For all those sports fans out there. You can chose between MLB, NFL and NCAA designs.
- Bass: Offers the best craftsmanship, comfort, design and of course leathers.
- Berkline: Offers a large range of leather and fabric home theater chairs in a variety of colors. They even have a range of massage chairs (watching a film while being massaged is like being in heaven).
- Coja: Makers of high end urban furniture. You can buy a custom-made recliner too.
Fortress: Offers a variety of theater chairs customized to your needs, perfect for those looking for a one of a kind seat for their home theater.
These are some of the more well-known brands out there for home theater furniture.
Buying Guide – More Things to Consider
Additional things to consider:
- Make sure you position your seat such that it receives the best sound and view.
- Be clear about what sort of styling you need for your chairs.
- Understand the various options available to you.
- Know your budget and stick to it. Its very easy to get tempted by the various extra features.
Final Thoughts on Home Theater Seating and Furniture
You can very well use your existing sofa, love seat, or chair for experience your home theater, and if you are on limited budget, then you may want to spend that on your electronic gear. However, you do have some good options to consider, especially if you are going to set it up in a separate room or if you anyways didn’t have the right Home Theater Seating.
Hopefully you should now be able to find an appropriate home theater seat. It may even be worth researching more before you set your heart on something, You can try visiting some stores to personally check out the seating, before you make your final decision. Make sure you pick up a home theater chair that complements the rest of the furniture your house.