Disclosure: Links in this post may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site. Please help support Studiopsis and buy from B&H and Amazon. It won’t cost you anything extra.
Professional Camcorder Reviews: These are the ones to consider for your upcoming projects or if it is getting too much to pay the camera rental guys.
Who Is This Meant For?
There are many video enthusiasts who hope to take up film related assignments some day and for that you’ll definitely need a camera that gives you the freedom to control most of the features manually.
Basically, the target audiences are:
- Film Students
- Video related Business
- Anybody who has already paid a lot to the camera rental houses and need one for his/her projects
What Is It Suitable For?
It can be used for various purposes where the expectation is that the video would be of very high quality. But then it doesn’t mean that you have to use these for shooting movies only. You can use it to record weddings, sports, corporate functions as well.
Some of the things that you would do using your professional camcorders:
- Moving Shots or Manual focusing
- Running and Gunning (where the Camcorder moves along with the subject)
- Recording separate video and audio
- XLR connected microphones for improved sound
Canon XA25 Professional Camcorder
The Canon XA25 is a compact, high-performance professional camcorder that offers a combination of high-precision optics, outstanding image processing, multiple recording formats, flexible connectivity and intuitive user features. Movie makers use it for a wide range of applications, including news gathering, law enforcement and military, education and documentary, among others. Features Canon 20x HD Video Lens with SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, 2.91 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Sensor, DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, MP4 (up to 35 Mbps) and AVCHD (up to 28 Mbps) codecs at up to 1080/60p resolution for virtually blur-free, high-quality capture of fast-moving subjects. Dual-band, built-in Wi-Fi technology allows easy FTP file transfer and upload to the internet.
Sony HDRFX1000 High Definition MiniDV Handycam Camcorder
The Sony HDRFX1000 Handycam camcorder gives film-like aesthetic, features three 1/3-inch ClearVid CMOS image sensors with Exmor derived technology, comes with a 29.5mm wide-angle to 590mm telephoto G-lens with 20X optical zoom, features 3.2-inch Xtra Fine LCD and Optical SteadyShot image stabilization.
Features to Look For
Here are some of the features that you might be interested in these pro cameras:
- The Lens – Determine if you need any precision in your shooting.
- The eyepiece – Should let you focus for various kinds of work, or alternatively you’ll want to Upgrade or use a monitor.
- Clean Signal – You expect the captured video signal to be of the best quality.
- Interlacing – Should not be visible especially in details like hair; the camera needs to handle fine details better.
- Buttons and menus – The design and layout of the buttons and menus should be very good.
- BNC output – Check if you need the BNC output
- Color features – You need good control of the color gain and the RGB settings.
- Sound – The recorded sound quality should be good